Social media advertising engagement is the sum of experiences that people obtain while being confronted with social media advertising on that platform. People actively use and engage with the various platforms differently based on the unique characteristics that each offers in terms of functionalities, interface, and content.
The same source delivering the same message to the same audience on separate occasions produces different effects:
The differences in Social media translate into different experiences with a platform and the advertising embedded within it, in that engagement is variable across domains, product categories, and brands.
Social media platforms also differ in many other characteristics, for instance,
- Private versus public access to content,
- Privacy parameters,
- Type of connections (friends/ colleagues), and
- Longevity of content accessibility.
It is likely that all of these characteristics contribute to different engagement experiences among social media platforms. The same source delivering the same message to the same audience on separate occasions produces different effects depending on the context in which the message appears.
Social media advertising, or social media targeting:
These are advertisements served to users on social media platforms. Social networks utilize user information to serve highly relevant advertisements based on interactions within a specific platform. In many instances, when the target market aligns with the user demographics of a social platform, social advertising can provide huge increases in conversions and sales with a lower cost of acquisition.
Whether what, and How to advertise on which platform?
The decision to advertise is motivated by “should” rather than “could.”
This means that when selecting a platform for advertising purposes, advertisers should always carefully align platform character with
(1) Product type (e.g., durable or service, high- or low-involvement product, emotional or more rational choice process),
(2) Advertising goal: (e.g., creation of awareness, likeability, sales response, warm feelings), and
(3) Advertising message: For instance, It follows that for advertisers for whom topicality is important, for instance, service brands, Twitter is a must.
It also means that while the adage “content is king” was applicable to traditional media, when it comes to social media advertising, context trumps content.
For example, advertising on Twitter needs to give consumers useful and up-to-date information that they expect to ﬁnd there, and failing to meet these experience expectations can have negative consequences for advertising evaluations.
How do social media target ads?
As each digital platform offers users a unique experience, this experience carries over to the advertisements placed on that platform.
Thus, to a substantial extent, the platform determines how an ad is evaluated.
Social media advertisers must select the right social medium for their brands’ purposes to enhance the effectiveness of their interactive advertising programs.
Social media applications come and go; new applications appear almost daily. Because advertisers simply cannot be active on all digital platforms, selecting the proper platform is important.
Benefits Of Advertising Through Social Media Include:
- Grow your sales and your fanbase.
- Use customer-generated content for ads (which perform better, too!).
- Better target net-new and returning customers (so you waste less money).
- One of the fascinating things about social advertising is that there is virtually no limit to your ability to scale.
The Different Types Of Social Media Platforms To Serve Ads:
Facebook Bing Twitter Eye Instagram Social Media[/caption]
There are many variations and types of social media.
- Facebook (a social network),
- Snapchat (an instant photo messaging application),
- Instagram (a photo-sharing application),
- Twitter (a microblogging application),
- LinkedIn (a business- and employment-oriented social networking service),
- Google(an interest-based social network), and
- Pinterest (a“catalog of ideas” or photo-sharing website) represents different types of social media, each with unique architectures, cultures, and norms
Deciding Factors For You To ChooseThe Social Media Network- Adapt the content to the platform or choose a platform that matches the goal and message of the ad.
- Because of the many differences among platforms, each offers a unique context for advertising. Moreover, advertising itself appears differently.
- For example, on Instagram, companies advertise by using attractive pictures, whereas, on Snapchat, they make sponsored lenses available, or on Twitter, they post short messages
- To fully beneﬁt from social media, advertisers should either adapt their content to the platform or choose a platform that matches the goal and message of the ad. If an advertiser wishes to communicate a message that helps people relax, makes them cheerful, or allows them to enjoy themselves,
- YouTube, Instagram, and/or Pinterest are good ﬁts, whereas Twitter is not.
- All in all, managers should understand that digital engagement is highly context speciﬁc and that each social media platform has strengths and weaknesses that must be considered before buying social media advertising.
Be seen where everyone is watching!
- Where your target customers are most concentrated (usage, groups, etc.)
- Where your target customers are most accessible (preferred media, ad targeting, etc.)
- Where your target customers most actively engage with ads (testing required).
Finding success on social media requires you to thread several needles together somewhat seamlessly.
Facebook- moments providing enjoyment, satisfaction, or relaxation. It allowed people to correspond with others, to do or share something with others, and to be quickly informed and up to date. Consumers used it to ﬁll empty moments.
YouTube – YouTube scored highest on the entertainment dimension: Users indicated it made them happy and relaxed and allowed them to have a moment for themselves.
Google – It was seen as a medium through which users are quickly updated and informed. People use Google to get useful ideas/tips/advice, motivates them to visit a shop or search for more information and shows them how they could approach problems.
Instagram – It was often used to ﬁll empty moments, and it was perceived by users as a social medium that ensured they were quickly informed and up to date.
How Do Ads Work On Social Media?
For example, Facebook’s (and Instagram’s) ad platform allows you to target specific users based on parameters such as age, demographics, and interests.
You can also target “lookalike” audiences based on your business’ email list or run campaigns solely for people who’ve visited your website before.
Top Social Media Sites to Consider for Your Brand:
The list of top social media sites is compiled by Statista: Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, Messenger, WeChat, Instagram, QQ, Tumblr, Qzone, Tik Tok, Sina Weibo, Twitter, Reddit, Baidu Tieba, LinkedIn, Viber, Snapchat, Pinterest, Line, Telegram, Medium.
Your business’s online reputation is more important than ever Reasons being,
- Your online presence is everywhere- Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Google reviews, Yelp, Quora, LinkedIn — the list goes on.
- Digital platforms are powerful tools for driving customer engagement. By taking control of how your business appears on digital platforms, you are protecting your overall credibility and building a solid customer following.
- Customer reviews serve as ranking factors
- Your target customers read online reviews
- Online shoppers value relevant brand feedback
- Online reviews build brand credibility
- The majority of your prospects are active online users
- Customers appreciate review responses